Cognitive Behavioural Approaches
This course introduces a social learning approach to substance misuse problems and the principles of cognitive behavioural therapy. This focuses on challenging and changing unhelpful cognitive distortions and behaviours, improving emotional regulation, and the development of personal coping strategies that target solving current problems.
- Discuss the social learning approach to understanding alcohol and drug problems
- Describe how thoughts, feelings and behaviour interconnect
- Relate a cognitive behavioural approach to the ‘stages of change’ model
- Enable clients to set behavioural goals
- Enable clients to identify cognitive and behavioural cues related to their problem drug use or drinking
- Enable clients to identify the functions their alcohol or drug use has for them and use this understanding to prevent relapse