The course aims to raise awareness of issues affecting LGB & T people in relation to substance misuse and allow participants to improve their own practice to achieve outcomes for this group.
- Explain reasons for higher levels of substance use amongst LGB & T people
- State ways in which patterns of presentations to services by this group has changed in recent years
- Explain the common barriers cited by LGB & T people when accessing healthcare services
- Explain the importance of monitoring service users’ sexual orientation and gender identity
- List ways in which services and individual practice can be more LGBT-inclusive
- Explore links between substance misuse and sexual health, with a particular emphasis on HIV prevention